Roche’s Safety Manager is responsible for the Health, Safety, and Environmental (HSE) operational support, coordination, and execution in areas of policies, programs, and procedures, including, but not limited to: implementing and maintaining a safety program involving incident identifications, accident/injury prevention, hazardous material/waste management, emergency preparedness, fire/life safety, ergonomics, and environmental and regulatory agency compliance.
- Safety program development, enforcement, and follow up. Be familiar and in compliance with all safety procedures, safety rules, and regulations.
- Develop and implement integrated safety and health policies, programs, and procedures.
- Distributing Toolbox talks to field personnel.
- Providing PPE and First Aid Kit support.
- Provide educational training opportunities and materials designed to implement and maintain an effective safety and health program.
- Documenting, reviewing, conducting, and/or correcting safety and health reviews, inspections, walk-throughs, and audits at the jobsites and on equipment, materials, and supplies.
- Assisting Project Superintendents or assigned Project Engineers on safety and health infractions, violations, near-miss incidents, accidents, and injuries; determining their causes; and developing and implementing recommendations and procedures to prevent reoccurrence.
- Communicating and coordinating with Project Managers, Project Superintendents, and other personnel to identify the problem areas and establish plans for correction.
- Assisting the Project Superintendent in recognizing, evaluating, and controlling the safety and/or industrial hygiene problems at the jobsite.
- Keeping Roche managers and field personnel advised of federal, state, and other safety and health regulations. Furnishing interpretations of these regulations to appropriate personnel.
- Ensuring effective, documented employee and subcontractor discipline regarding safety and health programs, policies, procedures, and regulations.
- Representing Roche in community, regional, national, and international safety and health activities, when necessary.
- Providing assistance to Operations Manager and field personnel, as needed.
- Advising VP of Operations and Operations Manager on safety compliance concerns and preventable actions.
- Working closely with Safety Committees in each location.
- Researching and selecting best courses and training for employee education and certifications. Working with the Safety admin to schedule and maintain active certifications.
- Knowledge and enforcement of OSHA standards.
- Knowledge and enforcement of hazardous materials storage and waste programs.
- Accident investigation.
- Active in the company’s quality management program.
- OSHA 500 certification preferred
- OSHA 30-hour card
- Knowledge of industry-specific safety standards including OSHA 1926 Construction
- Knowledge of stormwater/erosion control requirements
- Ability to identify and correct safety and stormwater deficiencies in the field
- Possess excellent interpersonal skills, with demonstrated ability to effectively interact with employees at all levels in a construction environment
- Proficient with Microsoft Office applications including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- 3+ years of commercial construction safety experience
- Bachelor’s degree in related field required
- Ability to manage/administer safety orientations, oversee substance abuse programs, investigate/report on injuries/illnesses/near misses, and perform other various safety functions on-site
- Ability to work with all construction groups- management, owners, trades, and subcontractors
- Excellent communication, organizational, decision-making, and problem-solving skills